Dental Cleanings and Routine Checkups
Regular dental examinations and professional cleanings are essential to maintaining your oral health. At Cornerstone Dental Associates, we conduct dental cleanings and routine checkups for all our patients in order to help them control and prevent any teeth-related problems.
A dental checkup would generally involve the following exams:
- Diagnostic Radiographs (X-rays): X-Rays help in the detection of bone loss, decay, cysts, tumors, etc. that are not visible in a visual examination.
- Gum disease evaluation: This involves an inspection of the gum and bones to check for signs of periodontal disease.
- Examination of tooth decay: All tooth surfaces are examined for existence ofdecay.
- Examination of existing restorations: Checkup of current bridges, crowns, fillings etc.
- Oral cancer screening: This involves an inspection of the neck, lips, face, throat, tongue, tissues, and gums for signs of oral cancer.
Professional Dental Cleaning
A thorough professional cleaning (also known as dental prophylaxis) performed by a dental hygienist is highly essential to maintaining a deeply clean mouth. A cleaning appointment involves:
- Removing Plaque: Plaque is an invisible, sticky film on the teeth that consists of food debris, saliva and a growing colony of bacteria. The bacteria lead to the production of toxins, which cause inflammation in the gums and lead to periodontal disease.
- Removing Tartar (Calculus): Calculus is plaque that has existed on the tooth for sometime and has hardened as a result. Calculus forms on the gum line and can be removed only with the use of special dental instruments during the cleaning process.
- Polishing the teeth: Polishing involves the removal of any stains and leftover plaque to make the teeth squeaky-clean.
Care for your oral health in the best possible way. Schedule your dental cleaning and routine checkup at Cornerstone Dental Associates by calling (940) 365-7665. We are located at 12000 US Highway 380, Suite 114 Crossroads, TX 76227.